Has your spouse been granted the coveted H-1B visa to US for working there? Do you plan to join him or her there? Though getting a tourist visa is comparatively difficult, you have the privilege of getting a dependent visa is easy.
Well, with the dependent visa or H-4 visa, the family can soon accompany them. However, the main applicant is the H-1B holder and only the immediate family members, including spouse and children below the age of 21 years, qualify for this visa by applying at the US Consulate in your country.
The H-4 dependent visa is issued by the USCIS or the U.S citizenship and Immigration Services to the immediate dependants of the H-1B visa holder. In case the H-1B visa application is being applied by your spouse, it is best to submit the application of H-4 together. If you are confused about the documents that you need to file prior to getting the dependent visa, here is a quick list to ensure you have all of the documentation completed in time:
· You will need to file a separate application for each member of the family. You will need to file the non-immigration visa application Form DS-160.
· Visa fee original receipt
· Valid passport and photographs as per US Consulate specifications
· Interview appointment letter issued by US consulate and VFS
· Original birth certificate for children below the age of 14 years
· Marriage certificate and wedding photos
· Copy of HI passport, Form I-129, I797 approved petition
· H1B employment verification letter
But when you are on H-4 visa, you do not have the legal authority to find employment or be assigned social security number. As it is a dependent visa, you can get a driver’s license, have checking accounts, enroll at a school or university and get a tax ID for IRS taxation purposes. On H-4 visa, you will need to get an ITIN number before filing Form W-7 for joint tax returns. You might not be allowed to work but you can always enroll in a school or University while on a dependent visa. Getting a change from H-4 visa takes sometime though with a US-based employer filing for your H-1B visa, you ca start working at a later date.
The dependent visa encompasses the family of all of the H-category visa holders i